Friday 6 August 2010

Music Review: Arcade Fire

It's probably not the best idea reviewing a live act that I watched on my computer. However upon finding out that Arcade Fire were transmitting a live broadcast which would include tracks from their new album "The Suburbs", I thought it best that I throw down the chill and watch it in bed. Another factor that made it essential viewing was that my boy Terry Gilliam was directed the concert. How could I resist?

The show started at about 3.15 am GMT which wasn't perfect for us Anglais bros but hey, I was awake so I'm not complaining. The band kicked in the with, their soon to be universally adored, 'Ready To Start' which I'm not gonna lie, blew my ballsac off. Arcade Fire were literally in flames and brimming with energy. After a cheeky safety number with Neighbourhood#2 (Laika), lead singer Win Butler kinda made feel a bit sad as he said to the crowd, "lets show them what they're fucking missing" which he made in reference to all the cyber bros watching in their pants.

The band then continued to burst through tracks from their earlier albums which were interspersed with flourishes of their latest. The stand out track of the night could arguably be "Rococo" which created a chill atmosphere amongst the audience who stood enamoured. The Quebecian outfit (which explains why that crazy (unchill) lady sings sometimes in French) ended the night on the colossal 'Wake Up". The irony was not lost on me as after this finished, I fell to sleep.


Here's a taste of what you missed:


2 comments:

  1. erm Régine ("lady") is very chill, have you not heard the song 'in the backseat', it's all about how she likes the back car seat so she can get her absolute chill on, probably smoke a few blunts, munch a few croissants...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ennit, Régine arguably brought the chill to their first album!

    ReplyDelete